[TriLUG] IMAP client

Andrew Perrin aperrin at email.unc.edu
Thu Oct 11 10:50:49 EDT 2001

Jeff-

1.) Pine is perfectly happy to be an IMAP client; you can run it off AFS
space at UNC (see my
http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin/tips/src/afs-debian-potato-unc.txt for how to
set that up) or install it locally. If you use the AFS version it's
pre-set to point at imap.unc.edu.  If not, you just need something like
this in your ~/.pinerc:

# Path of (local or remote) INBOX, e.g. ={mail.somewhere.edu}inbox
# Normal Unix default is the local INBOX (usually /usr/spool/mail/$USER).
inbox-path={imap.unc.edu}inbox

# List of incoming msg folders besides INBOX, e.g. ={host2}inbox,
{host3}inbox
# Syntax: optnl-label {optnl-imap-host-name}folder-path
incoming-folders=/var/spool/mail/aperrin

# List of directories where saved-message folders may be. First one is
# the default for Saves. Example: Main {host1}mail/[], Desktop mail\[]
# Syntax: optnl-label {optnl-imap-hostname}optnl-directory-path[]
folder-collections=Local mail/[],
        UNC {imap.unc.edu}mail/[],
        Demog {imap.demog.berkeley.edu}mail/[],
        UCLink {uclink4.berkeley.edu}mail/[]

2.) That said, I know people aren't that keen on pine and I've been trying
to move to mutt, but haven't had a chance to really delve into it.

3.) If GUI is your thing, the UNC campus has a site license for mulberry,
including for linux, which is also available in AFS space. I haven't
played with it much, but it is a full-featured, non-free, GUI IMAP client.

Hope this helps.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin at unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA