[TriLUG] IMAP problem

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 11 11:02:20 EDT 2001

This is definately a Sendmail problem and not related IMAP at all.  In the
version of Sendmail that I use, you have to add the user's ip address (or
domain name, if you want sendmail to work harder...) to the
/etc/mail/access file and specify the keywork RELAY for that IP address.

Assuming that your users don't have static IP addresses and may even be
moving about from company to company (ie a consultant) then you will need
to either set up "send after pop authentication" or send using a secure
socket layer connection to the sever.

Another work-around is to move the smtp port used by the client to some
arbitrary port (above 1024) and then attach to a local machine at the ISP
that does a redirect of that port back to port 25 of the mail server.  The
local machine that does the relay will have to have relay rights on the
mailserver.
The mailserver will see all smtp requests as originating from that local
server.  The setup is "somewhat" secure as you are using an unadvertised
arbitrary port on a server other than your mailserver.

Good Luck,

Jon