[TriLUG] kapm-idled

Henryk Kowalski hkowalski at linuxmail.org
Sat Oct 13 12:02:59 EDT 2001

Hi,

I recently upgraded (re-installed) from Mandrake 7.2 (kernel 2.2.17) to Mandrake 8.0 running the stock kernel 2.4.3-20mdk, then upgraded to kernel 2.4.8-26mdk.  I've now noticed that I have "kapm-idled" running as a process all the time, hogging up 90%+ of the cpu.  This has happened on more than one box, from pentium-233mmx to PII-266 and amd300, I haven't checked the P3 yet...

This is new to me.  So far I haven't been able to figure out even where to look for docs.  Nothing in man pages.

What is it?
Do I need it?
How do I get rid of it? (Kill hasn't worked)
chkconfig - not obviously helpful

Thanks,
--Henry