[TriLUG] Job available

Henryk M. kowalski kowalski at easternrad.com
Mon Oct 15 15:14:13 EDT 2001

We're hiring!

We are a medical group (Radiology).  Our business is growing
fast, our IT needs are growing even faster (close to doubling every
year).

We're looking for a person or persons with a broad range of skills to
join our group:

Everything from network setup, security(!) and management,
to servers and systems administration,
WAN/Firewall/VPN,
scripting (shell/Perl),
web server setup (Apache/mySQL/PHP),
etc., etc.

Some M$-win knowledge is a plus ;)

I think we have an interesting and challenging computing
environment.
We have no formal IT staff yet (other than yours truly and I'm strictly
an
amateur).
We're looking to hire probably two people to handle our operation.

Below is an outline of some of our equipment and projects.

Current equipment in use:

* RISC 6000 - AIX running Radiology Information System (RIS) - (read
database)
* 2 Cisco 1700 routers
* 2 Cisco Catalyst switches w/ fiber links
* LAN and WAN connections to 5+ sites (and growing)
* Linux routers, firewalls in use
    # To Do: {
    Need to setup Linux based VPN gateway.;
    Need to add 2nd and probably 3rd firewall for interfaces
	w/ other corporate networks.;
    }
* Win NT PDC/BDC & Samba servers
    # would like to: {
    migrate to all Linux solution;
    Add DNS (Linux);
    Add Linux based network backup solution;
    }
* Assorted medical scanners/devices on network (MRIs, CTs, Ultrasounds,
Laser    cameras)
* ~35-40 (growing) Win 95/98/NT workstations running variety
of applications, mostly clients for RIS and browsers for access to
data.  Some WP & spreadsheet apps.
Some are used as image review/diagnostic workstations.
    #To do: {
    Plan to migrate these as much as possible to Linux. Either native
Linux apps \
    or Win-on-Lin (whatever flavor works best)
    }
* Voice recognition used in report generation
* Other near future projects:
- Plan to add Linux based Radiology PACS (Medical Image archive)
consisting of redundant fault tolerant servers, Tape backup and an
initial 2 TB (Yes, 2 terabytes) of NAS growing to +/- 20 TB over the
next 5 yrs.  (Unless you convince me that we should go with a Windows
2000 based system
instead. <Grin>  )
- Secure/harden our email and web access.
- Plan to add intranet servers for various group-oriented communication
and database needs.

- Many more, as yet undiscovered, projects.

We have a friendly work environment.  No bureaucracy to deal
with.

Probably the biggest drawback to this job <sigh> is having to
answer my endless questions about Linux.  ;)

We also offer a somewhat unique benefit for a job in the IT field:
*job security* !  Our company has been steadily growing for the last 45
years.
To my knowledge we've *never* laid off anyone due to slow business.
Oh, sure, you can get fired for slacking off or not doing your job,
etc., but the work itself is always there.

We're not located in the triangle area itself.
We are in Greenville, NC.  <HEY!! I heard that! ;)>

Seriously though, if you're not familiar with Greenville, and
especially  if you're married and/or have a family you owe it to
yourself to find out more about it.

[Begin Opinion]
Look, I know that no city/town is right for everyone, but I believe that
Greenville offers a great environment for work and raising a family.
(It's kind of like Perl: "It makes the easy thing easy and the hard
things possible.") Heck, I bet it took me no more time to drive in to
the trilug meeting last week than it takes *some* of you to commute to
work on a bad traffic day.  ;)

Just so that I'm not accused of "not knowing any better" I will add that
I do have some perspective:
In addition to having lived overseas, during the 15 years prior to
moving to Greenville I lived, studied and worked for 5 yrs each in
Providence, Boston and New York City.
[End opinion]

Also, If anybody would like to do some consulting work for us on these
projects I would appreciate a contact name/email.

Thanks,
Henry.

--
Henryk M. Kowalski, MD