[TriLUG] Deb vs. RPM (was Icecast.conf and debian)

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Tue Oct 16 17:31:31 EDT 2001

Rev. Christian J Hedemark [chris at yonderway.com] wrote:
> Tanner writes:
> > Like I said before, I have no experience with dpkg, but I do
> > have plenty of experience with RPM (I've been working with
> > it for about 5 years or so...).  It is always easier in
> > the long run (and very often, in the short run) to whip up
> > an rpm spec file for a package (assuming it doesn't come
> > with one) than to install it by hand.  An rpm spec
> > file is basically just a build script, an install script,
> > and a list of files (with some other info, like the name
> > and version of the package thrown in...).  You have to do
> > all of that by hand anyway, so why not put it into
> > a spec file.
>
> Are you volunteering to do a talk on RPM?
>
> Please?
>
> :)

Actually, I did, but I would certainly be more comfortable doing it
along with someone than by myself...  I talked to Mike about doing
an RPM talk right before he left for a conference; he said it would
probably be December's meeting, but he's still out of town right now
so I'm not sure how much of that conversation made it to you steering
folks...  =)

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/