[TriLUG] Apache question

jeremyp at pobox.com jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Oct 18 15:07:57 EDT 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 prhodes at vdsinc.com wrote:

> > Philip,
>
> > Somehow my messages to trilug aren't getting out very well.
> > Here's my solution which will work quickly in two lines:
>
> > <Directory />
> > RewriteEngine On
> > RewriteRule /cvsweb /cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi
> > </Directory>
>

> Jeremy,
>
> I put that in, and I still get a permission denied error, when trying to
> access http://cvs/cvsweb.
>
> Any thoughts?

Just remembered one thing -- using mod_rewrite requires that symlinks be
enabled for the destination directory (since a rewrite is like a symlink
in function).  So you'll need to add "FollowSymLinks" to the
"Options" line in the Directory section that describes cgi-bin.
So I guess my solution isn't quite as elegant as I thought, but I still
like mod_rewrite! :)

By the way, /var/log/httpd/error_log contains descriptive information
about permission denied errors that's very helpful.

--Jeremy