[TriLUG] Topic for discussion

H. Wade Minter minter at lunenburg.org
Thu Oct 18 16:02:00 EDT 2001

It's a version control system (Concurrent Versioning System, IIRC).  There
are several uses for it - I use it for two main things:

1) For version control on a software project I write.  CVS lets me track
back through every change to every source code file, so I can remember
what changed and when.  You can also use CVS to "tag" moments in time, so
if I want to see how my project looked at version 0.9, I can get it back
to that state exactly.

2) For a website I run, I have a development site and the live site.  I do
all of my changes in the devel site, commit them to CVS, and then check
them out in the live site.  It helps me test my changes, and lets me
quickly roll back to a known-good state if I make a mistake.

I'm not a CVS expert by any means, but I'd be glad to go into more detail
if you want.

--Wade