[TriLUG] cool article

Marc Johnson marc_johnson27591 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 15:55:57 EDT 2001

>From: Benjamin Reed <ranger at befunk.com>
>
>acoliver [acoliver at nc.rr.com] wrote:
> > http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.10/linux.html
> >
> > Interesting article......  I'd kinda like to tip my hat to the
> > redhat tech who did that to her. *smirk*
>
>I'm still trying to understand the concept of a magazine/webzine web
>site editor who _can't spell_.  Isn't that, like, part of the job?

Of course it is. However:

I can spell, better than most people I know. I've even written books (and
they've been published, too). I have been asked many times to proofread and
edit technical documents. I *still* make mistakes occasionally. The fact is,
you need to be able to spell to make intelligent use of a spell checker.

English is a damnably difficult language to master, one that I contend VERY
few have, in fact, mastered.

>None of it would have been an issue otherwise... =)

Aside from just the incredbily mean spirited / arrogant / stupid (pick at
least one) act of arbitrarily wiping out all of the editor's data, right, no
issue. Even if the editor had been no brighter than the average poodle (see,
I *have* worked with professional editors <g>), even if the work erased had
consisted of puerile drool, the tech had no right to do what he did.

Inasmuch as some companies hold that failure to protect your own data (e.g.,
failure to follow corporate policy on backups) is grounds for dismissal, I'd
have had NO sympathy if the tech who wiped the disk clean had been fired for
deliberately wiping out the editor's data. No matter how one feels about
Linux or Microsoft, the tech's actions were inexcusable. If someone outside
the company had done what he had done, the culprit would have wound up in
serious need of legal counsel.

Just my $.02 ... but it's *very* true.