[TriLUG] Deb vs. RPM (was Icecast.conf and debian)

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Oct 20 09:00:10 EDT 2001

On Wednesday 17 October 2001 09:08 am, you wrote:

Speaking of all of this package management stuff...

Package systems often group their packages.  I'm making a couple of RPMs (my
first serious ones), and I'm having trouble finding any documentation on
RedHat's RPM groups.  Does anyone know of a place that lists guidelines for
placement in the groups?

The group "Development/System" sounds like a good place for one of my RPMs,
but the packages that are in that group

kernel-headers-2.4.2-2
kernel-source-2.4.2-2
lm_sensors-devel-2.5.5-3
rpmdb-redhat-7.1-0.20010408
rpmlint-0.28-2

were a somewhat mixed set that doesn't seem to follow what I thought that
group would contain.

Thanks,
---Tom