[Re: [TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Beth Ellison leonardbernst55 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 23 10:06:05 EDT 2001

Damn. Yep. There is no longer a $30 box set. I hate that. And I was told
that it's because "we aren't focusing on the desktop market" and the $30 set
"wasn't creating revenue." I shudder at phrases like that. They sound so
much like the exact things that free, open-source software was built to work
against.

Of course, Red Hat, et al, are still free online and so are the manuals, but
I believe that there are a LOT of people like the person mentioned below who
bought the cheap box set just to support the cause. And I bet we'll lose
many of them now. On a positive note, our FTP site had some 10,000 people
show up to download 7.2 and they were all supported--no crash! And we
(documentation) are putting a lot of new, more advanced content on our
website as soon as it's written. People know it (Linux) is free, they know
where to get it, and they are provided with stable sites and free
documentation. There's solace in that, if not the cruddy revenue/marketing
turns that have been taken.

Beth
tech writer - red hat