[TriLUG] Need advise.

jeremyp at pobox.com jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Oct 23 10:25:08 EDT 2001

Hi Roy,

My defintion of reasonably big for a database server would be:
at least 36 GB SCSI HD, with hardware RAID of course  (RAID 1 ideal)
at least 1 GB RAM

Depends really on what your anticipated load is though.  If you expect to
have a lot of stored data, but not too many queries, then get more HD
space.  If you have a busy server, but not a huge amount of data, than HD
doesn't matter so much but RAM and processor certainly does.

People have said mixed things about SMP under Unix, but I have two
dual-proc. machines that work just fine.  Kevin says Oracle isn't a
processor hog, but still dual-processor machines are kewl. :)

--Jeremy