[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Tue Oct 23 10:58:06 EDT 2001

Matt Jezorek quoted Beth Ellison writing:
> > Damn. Yep. There is no longer a $30 box set. I hate that. And I was told
> > that it's because "we aren't focusing on the desktop market" and the $30
> set
> > "wasn't creating revenue." I shudder at phrases like that. They sound so
> > much like the exact things that free, open-source software was built to
> work
> > against.

This idea of that RedHat isn't focusing on the desktop market is a
little schizoid on RedHat's part and smacks of intellectual dishonesty.
If this is so, then why are they bloating there distribution with desktops
like GNOME or KDE, when for a server any old (and I do mean old) window
manager would do.  If RedHat was really only catering to the server
market I would think that the RedHat distribution would look more like a
*BSD distribution.  They have spent a lot time and effort dumbing down
linux installation and adminstration chores so the "unwashed masses"
of Windows users would feel more comfortable.

> > bought the cheap box set just to support the cause. And I bet we'll lose
> > many of them now.

I suspect you are right.

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html