[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Beth Ellison leonardbernst55 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 23 11:18:31 EDT 2001

>Matt Jezorek quoted Beth Ellison writing:
>This idea of that RedHat isn't focusing on the desktop market is a
>little schizoid on RedHat's part and smacks of intellectual dishonesty.

Not sure I get what you mean by "intellectual dishonesty." Care to
elaborate?

>If this is so, then why are they bloating there distribution with desktops
>like GNOME or KDE, when for a server any old (and I do mean old) window
>manager would do.  If RedHat was really only catering to the server
>market I would think that the RedHat distribution would look more like a
>*BSD distribution.  They have spent a lot time and effort dumbing down
>linux installation and adminstration chores so the "unwashed masses"
>of Windows users would feel more comfortable.

Absolutely. The new release is the most user-friendly/desktop focused
release yet. I don't know if they're trying to dumb it down so people used
to running big Windows systems will find Linux more approachable or if the
idea of not focusing on the desktop market is a temporary/last minute
strategy or what. There's work to do on simplifying the filesystem and
general administration tasks so the home user who doesn't know a lot about
such doesn't get freaked out, but that can be done, I'd say, within maybe
two years.

beth