[TriLUG] Need advise.

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 23 11:36:04 EDT 2001

Stay far away from the low-end of the PowerEdge series (especially the
1300's).  The quality of the 1300's is poor, and the disk subsystems are
proprietary.  They say Adaptec, but don't be fooled, you get a stripped down
version of a full adaptec - with just enough differences that you need a
special driver.  The killer is that the normal driver *almost* works.  Just
enough that it drives you crazy!

Oh, and did you know that you can't use an IDE drive in the low-end
PowerEdges.  The proprietary motherboard has irq's and io's all over the
place without heeding any standards, and they just stomp right on top of any
normal settings for IDE controllers.

Jon Carnes