[TriLUG] Need advise.

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 23 20:06:21 EDT 2001

> > > My defintion of reasonably big for a database server would be:
> > > at least 36 GB SCSI HD, with hardware RAID of course  (RAID 1 ideal)
> > > at least 1 GB RAM
> >
> > Why not RAID 0+1 as "ideal"?  Honestly curious about this.
>
> Should have clarified, I meant that RAID 1 is better than RAID 5,
> especially for a database server.  RAID 0+1 would be even more ideal, but
> more expensive than RAID 1.

I beg to differ.  Historically RAID 1 (and 1+0) gave the best performance
with large files - but with variable file sizes RAID 5 is just as
fast. With modern controllers RAID 5 often out performs RAID 1 systems.

In the modern world, the performance difference between RAID's is not a
significant factor (assuming random file sizes).  The controller you use
(and the amount of cache) has a much more significant impact on your data
through-put.

In my opinion, get a Mylex controller, then choose any RAID that makes you
jolly!  Your data through-put will scream!

Jon