[TriLUG] Need advise.

Adrian Likins alikins at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 23:54:29 EDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 12:18:21PM -0400, Rev. Christian J Hedemark wrote:
> Jeremy writes:
> > My defintion of reasonably big for a database server would be:
> > at least 36 GB SCSI HD, with hardware RAID of course  (RAID 1 ideal)
> > at least 1 GB RAM
>
> Why not RAID 0+1 as "ideal"?  Honestly curious about this.

	0+1 is cool if you do a mix of hardware and software. It's
a good compromised between the supposed "security" of hw raid, and
the performance of software raid.

	0+1 all software is workable too, just dont try it on
a 2.2 kernel (on 2.2, you can set it up and run it, but if you lose
anything, it's not reentrant and everythin dies. ooops). It reportedly
works well on 2.4 (havent tried this myself, we tend to stick to
1 or 5, and the occasionaly 0)

Adrian