[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 24 09:09:51 EDT 2001

>I would tend to disagree. The fact is, people will jump up
>and down and write reams about what color the new desktop background is,
>while completely ignoring the huge amount of work that goes into the
>kernel for performance and stability. If it looks like the focus is
>on the desktop, I suspect it's an illusion. If people want to
>convince themselves thats what our focus is, not much I can do
>to stop them (though, I really dont understand why any one would
>do that... I mean, whats the motivation for saying "oh, you say you
>arent focusing on the desktop, but look at the new gnome rpms you
>included!!! " ?.)

Actually, FWIK, at RedHat the main target is the business segment and the
system administrators. It is true that there are "Linux Desktop for Dummies"
training available at Red Hat. But the focus is Desktop.

Red Hat only happens to include the latest and greatest desktops available,
thanks to the very cool guys at Gnome and KDE projects. This is waht it
makes Red Hat "desktop oriented" if you wish.

I call this "benefit from Open Source". Yes: you focus on making Linux a
better big business thing, while other guys focus on Desktop. Because of GPL
and openness, both parts can benefit from both devbeopment. So we end with a
business-ready, big enterprise-quality AND cool'n'friendly desktop **at the
same time**.

Isn't it wondeerful?

>Wonder if people accuse Mandrake of secretly focusing on
>embedded clients.... ;->

Actualy, I thought that Mandrake was aimed at the embeded market. You know,
playing the sims on your Embeded Mandrake Linux Programable TeaPot (TM)
*grin*

Salut,
Sinner

--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake 8.1 - Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Linux Machine # 38068