[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Wed Oct 24 11:19:31 EDT 2001

Adrian Likins wrote:
> 	Based on allocated resources, I dont perceive Red Hat, Inc
> as focusing on the desktop. I dont think we ever have for that matter,
> and never claimed to. I dont quite follow your logic on this one...

I think examination of the historical record will allow you to follow
my logic.  For example, what about RHAD?  If you look at their website,
it says:
"Welcome to the Red Hat Advanced Development Labs (RHAD Labs).  The Labs
have been a part of Red Hat and the open source community for two years.
Originally set up to help out with the GNOME Desktop Project ..."

As recently as Jan 2001, Red Hat entered into a strategic alliance
with Eazel to help facilitate getting Linux on the desktop.  Here is an
excerpt from a Red Hat press release:

   ...Red Hat (Nasdaq:RHAT), the leader in developing, deploying and managing
   open source solutions for Internet infrastructure, today announced plans
   to deliver a superior desktop experience for Red Hat Linux users.

Further, going through old Red Hat press releases, on 14 October 1998,
it was the official Red Hat position that:
   "GNOME is a fundamental part of our product strategy at Red Hat" says
   Marc Ewing, Red Hat Software's Chief Technology Officer. "Soon our Linux
   operating system product will ship with a fully integrated GNOME desktop
   environment, and all our users will be able to take advantage of the
   ease of use benefits and customizatbility that GNOME offers."

   Red Hat, Inc. remains fully commited to GNOME development, and will
   continue to support GNOME efforts through RHAD Labs, as we have for the
   past year. Ewing: "The next six months will be very exciting for GNOME,
   Red Hat, and Linux. Hold on to your collective hats!"

On 14 September 1998, a Red Hat press release reads:
   Red Hat's goal is to build the easiest, simplest to administer,
   most advanced and stable Linux operating system. It's working:
   InfoWorld Magazine named Red Hat Linux 4.0 the 1996 Product of the
   Year in the Desktop category, and in 1997, Red Hat Linux 4.1 was an
   Environment/Desktop finalist in the Ziff-Davis European Excellence Awards

On 21 July 1997, a Red Hat press release announcing Red Hat 4.2 states:
   Red Hat, Inc. , announces the release of Red Hat Linux 4.2,
   the cooperatively developed desktop operating system for advanced
   computing solutions.

   [snip]

   Red Hat Linux 4.2 also performs as a user friendly, incredibly stable
   desktop client for applications from software development, to X-Terminal
   (thin client), to fast and reliable web browsing.

I think examination of the historical record in the Red Hat press releases
indicate that they have a long standing interest in the desktop.

> > Naturally, admitting to RedHat shareholders
> > that RedHat failing at their effort to grow market share the desktop
> > market won't play well, so they lie and they say, "well, we're not really
> > focusing on that market anyway; it's the server market we are after."
> > Their words and their actions are not congruous.
> >
> 	I would tend to disagree. The fact is, people will jump up
> and down and write reams about what color the new desktop background is,

So?

Granted, Red Hat has branched out in many directions, everywhere from
enterprise computing to, most recently, embedded computing.  Nevertheless,
Red Hat has historically placed a lot emphasis on the desktop, so I was
sort of surprised to read Beth's post yesterday indicating that RedHat
isn't focusing on the desktop.

Regards,

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html