[TriLUG] Need advise.

acoliver acoliver at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 24 12:35:22 EDT 2001

Its been a little while since I installed oracle.  First thing make sure
that the version of your distro is supported.  When I first tried, I used RH
70 and it just didn't work.  After some searching I found that it just
didn't work yet.

Don't forget to install X.  Unfortunately, the Oracle Installer REQUIRES X
to run.  (normally I wouldn't even consider installing X on a database
server, but thats just me).

If you're not too familiar make sure you pick up the Database Administrators
Guide.  In short:

1.Rollback segments and Temp segments should be on seperate disks if
possible
(The idea being that a insert statement that also does a joined/sorted query
shouldn't fight itself.)
2.Indexes and their data should be on seperate disks if possible
3.Redo logs should be on a different disk than the rollback segments and
temp segments if possible.

-Andy