[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 24 17:47:15 EDT 2001

>Yes but more and more are switching there servers to Linux while yes this
>is
>a great sign, it still does not have the credibility to move into the
>desktop market as much.

The only and true way to get to the desktop is the availability of BestBuy
2.0 GHz with Linus pre-installed. Then, Joe SixPack and Mary GrandMa will
buy it.... and the desktop figures will go up.

Also, if a Big Bad Corporate & Co. deploys Linux Terminal Server 'a la
Largo, FL , just because it makes so much sense to remote manage all your
users from a centralized applications server, and provide them a working,
secure desktop system (KDE and Gnome are more than capable of that), then
the dektop figures will go up as well.

But to get to this point we need:

1.- computer retail business to bet on Linux.
2.- senior corporate managers understand world without gates or windows

One very good article on corporate thinking and Linux is here:
http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2001/1018.tco.html

On that URL they talk about using SUN Solaris. But Linux surely can be up to
the job...some times on the servers, most of the times on the desktop.

But senior management is *very* reluctant to change. It was hard enough for
them to understand that computers are better than zillions of paper pages.
Now, with all those Windows, why switch again? "My son uses Windows at home
with no problem Microsoft is a huge corporation. How can they be wrong?"

Then, the retail computer business.... with less business forecasted, they
tend to cut lines and stay with "core" business. This way, as an example,
Gateway has cut its lines of AMD-installed computers. And we expect them to
open a new line for Linux? The Desktop market is below 5%. It is difficult
to support (they are Microsoft shops) . It doesn't need the latest ahrdware
to just boot (this is bad for bussiness), all those WinModems, WinPrinters,
WinUSBlancards.... WinUSBstuff just doesn't work. There's no Quicken for
Linux (yes, the Kapital, but it hasn't the work Quiken in big gold letters
on the box), there's no silly games (no Virtual Barbie Camping Set), and,
(oh no!) there's no BloatOffice product to charge $500 for!!! (yes, there's
StarOffice, pretty bloated, but is not MS-Office, is free and we just don't
get it).

So, unless something happens (a big thing, like a real penalty for Microsoft
like forcing all the Government, local and federal to run only non-Microsoft
software, hardware and services for, say, 5 years at least, starting today),
Linux on the desktop will be a thing of:

-SysAdmins
-embeded, Java... developers
-Geeks
-poor students in poor universities
-3l33t3 teens
-NBC's TechSurvivor contestants

>Now maybe my language was to harsh about taking the desktop market by storm
>but I would like more desktops to be installed.

Mee to. at least, my wife's (well, now is dual boot, but this is not
enough...) (and I plan to install Linux on my in-laws system  soon...)

>If Linux is made more friendly toward the desktop and more hardware vendors
>would include it in the Operating System choices then more pre-configured
>Linux machines will come out. For example my Dad is interested in Linux but
>is a new computer user. He is also thinks that if he can not go to CompUSA
>or Best Buy and purchase a system pre-installed with Linux then there is no
>use to try it. He feels if he "pays for Microsoft licensing" then he should
>use it. (He is a stingy kinda guy)

Try Lindows

>Also it would be nice if more Workstations had Linux on them so that my
>employer would allow me to kill win2k on my workstation for Linux since I
>am
>using no applications that I cant replace if I am using any other Operating
>System. Except for being forced to use outlook. But there are replacements
>for that.

>Ohh well

Exactly. Ohh well.

Salut,