[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 25 02:13:44 EDT 2001

This argument reminds me of what happened a very long time ago when
Commodore brought forth the Pet and C-64 machines which cost about half what
Apple and IBM (and others) were charging for their PC's. (This pre-dated the
Macintosh). There was great anger that Commodore had brought "fire to the
masses" with their inexpensive C-64 machine (which in case you didn't know
was the first personal computer that sold in the millions--more than any
manufacturer had ever sold before, including Big Blue).
      I would say that if Red Hat is improving their software to make
certain tasks easier to perform that should  only be expected in any case.
To argue that Linux shouldn't be used by the "unwashed masses" is (like the
earlier complaint of "giving fire to the masses") ridiculous. If you had to
operate a PC back then (and especially an IBM or Apple or Commodore 64
computer!!) using only command lines, without any GUI, you might understand
why just about everyone was happy when the GUI's finally came out for just
about every personal computer.
     The only problem was who ended up making the GUI for IBM computers!! If
you ever saw the first version of Windows,  you would never have predicted
that Microsoft would be the one to monopolize the IBM marketplace!! It was
(and in my opinion continues to be)  a piece of junk. That doesn't mean,
however, that someone else won't be able to do any better, and Redhat
(utilizing the latest versions of Gnome and KDE of course) should be
encouraged to do a better job with every edition they produce. If you sit
down and compare any version of  LINUX to virtually any Microsoft product
the quality and flexibility just shines through. It is the only popular OS
which allows one to operate a PC anyway he/she wishes (command or GUI). If
you don't want to use Gnome or KDE, no one is forcing you!! In fact you can
recompile the kernel and fine tune it to run on computers many consider
obsolete. So let RedHat keep improving its products, if you don't like their
"improvements", you can always discard them!! Frankly I hope that they have
at least provided new soundcard and printer installers (for those who need
them) which were previously installed only after you installed the O.S. I
believe that Servers and Workstations can co-exist in the same O.S. without
problems. The fact that these two (Workstation and Server) kinds of machines
have different requirements doesn't mean an O.S. cannot have the strengths
of BOTH without being weakened by doing so!! In fact the only way it can
have the strengths of Both is by having both !! As you can tell, however,
I'm a Mandrake follower precisely because its loader is so easy to use
(Mandrake does indeed bring "fire to the masses", and does an excellent job.
However, RedHat no doubt feels the Mandrake heat and must improve their
loaders to compete. If you don't want the new fire, no one says you can't
put out the parts you don't like. Or you can even keep using an OLD version
of RedHat (no one is forcing you to update--virtually all the applications
will still run on it!!) Try doing that with any Microsoft product !!  :-)