[TriLUG] Profit margins on box sets

Fred Stutzman stutzman at email.unc.edu
Thu Oct 25 10:28:46 EDT 2001

This discussion has got me thinking - how much money does a company like
RedHat make off these box sets?  I can imagine after they box, bind, and
distribute everything to these major chains, and they add their markup,
the profit can't be *that* substatial.  I'm torn - I want to support
Linux, but is the limited amount of monetary compensation they take from
the purchase of a box set worth it?  Everyone has different reasons for
buying box sets - that would be mine.  If anyone has hard facts or
theories, I'd be interested.

Fred