[TriLUG] Graphical Grub

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu Oct 25 12:43:06 EDT 2001

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney wrote:

> Um, you could try the RH 7.2 RPM. Last time I checked, RH SRPMS worked
> just fine on Mandrake. Unless you're patching the mandrake grub RPMS
> as an educational thing *grin*

When did you last check?  As of 8.1, Mandrake has added patches
to let grub boot jfs and xfs filesystems which I don't see in the
redhat RPM at all...  There's also the little matter of having
a Redhat splash screen come up on my Mandrake box... :-)

Anyway, I got the patch to work correctly with the Mandrake
RPM.  My only problem was that the bar that highlights particular
selections wasn't being erased properly.  I traced it down
to the fact that I had a color statement (for text mode)
that was screwing things up for graphical mode.  Apparently,
reverse video is handled differently in graphics mode.
It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a patch to make it
ignore that statement while in vga16 mode, though...

Tanner
P.S. Isn't everything with linux educational...? :-)
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

  History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
  of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
  endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989