[TriLUG] Adding https to an existing Apache server

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 25 18:10:51 EDT 2001

> > Anyone have any thoughts on adding https to an Apache server.  I'm not
> > against a re-install.
>
> Running Red Hat?  Just rpm -Uvh mod_ssl.whatever.rpm.  You do have to set
> up the certificates, but it's well documented. Read the comments in the
> default httpd.conf for how to set up the SSL virtual host.
>
> I did this recently; installing mod_ssl was simple (although I did rpm
> --rebuild to get it working on RH6.2, as is normal).  The tricky part is
> getting the certificate keys set up correctly.  Are you going to self-sign
> or buy a certificate from Versign, et al.?
>
> --Jeremy

This is going to be on Red Hat 6.2 (well... VA Linux 6.2.4).  We already
have the certificate from versign.

Thanks for the tip.  I did this a different way about 6 months ago, and then
discovered that I was inadvertently using RSA, so it wasn't legal for me to
use it in Production (at least in America...).

I'll see if I can find the source and install from there.  If not, I'll try
the rpm.

Jon