[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Thu Oct 25 18:26:39 EDT 2001

(Side note: could you *please* set your mail client to do proper word
wrapping... 72 columns.  please.  my eyes thank you in advance :)

On Friday, October 26 2001, ilan volow said:
> I agree with you about the easiness (or lack thereof) of the RH
> install. I made a list of about 20 usability design problems in the
> 7.0 anaconda. Stuff that would confuse a user enough that they would
> make a less than optimal decision, or if they could arrive at that
> decision, would force them take a longer time to do so. Chances are
> you got perplexed by one or more of these problems. Maybe 1-2 of those
> problems were fixed in 7.1. I haven't yet tried installing 7.2, but I
> suspect that most of these problems are still there. These problems
> could be squashed by modifying a few lines of python/gtk code here and
> there, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

"You seriously doubt that will happen".  Have you ever considered the
fact that if you actually filed bug reports in bugzilla that they might
get fixed?  We're not working here to make things hard for users, but
it's hard to fix things if they're not pointed out to us.  Have a
feature you're interested in, file it in bugzilla.  Mark it as an
enhancement.  This *REALLY* helps us a lot in trying to decide what to
work on for the next release as well as actually getting it done.

> The redhat people are like most linux programmers: very technically
> talented and can push around bits with the best of them, but are
> complete newbies when it comes to designing GUI stuff.

Hey, I'd be the first to admit that I'm not the ideal person to design
GUIs.  That's why I try to stick to non-interface parts as much as I can
:)  We do have a few people around who do know a thing or two about GUI
design though and do take their comments into account and have even done
some usability testing which has helped a lot in some respects.  More
suggestions are always welcome though.

Cheers,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
katzj at redhat.com    	| jlkatz at eos.ncsu.edu
katzj at linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D