[TriLUG] LastFoot.com VNCSERVER

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Thu Oct 25 22:10:51 EDT 2001

A Dijous 25 Octubre 2001 04:01 pm, vàreu escriure:
> Had anyone use or work with this technology before when it was public?  I
> am interested in the way they set vncserver up via inetd and when the
> vncbrowser got to one of these server, it ask for user id & password as if
> you are login locally.  I got some instructions from the internet but does
> not seem to help me.  Sorry, I got thick skull...

What do you mean 2before, when it was public"? I thought that it still was
public.

I have used VNC successfully. I have used it to control NT boxes (located at
a cold, server room) fom my desktop at my office, with a nice coffe at my
hands.

I have used it both from vnc-client on Windows9x and from a java-enabled
browser in Linux.

Pros:
-it works,
-it is great.
-it is multi-platform on clients
-it is multi-platform on servers
-great on intranets

Cons:
-it is not encripted communicaiton (maybe you can enncript it on a ssh tunnel
or something
-it needs an special port open on your firewall
-it is a little slow (or so it felt) through internet

I recommend it on firewalled intranets. It is very good.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake 8.1 - Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Linux Machine # 38068