[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 26 00:52:40 EDT 2001

I was in Compusa a couple of weeks ago and they had Red Hat 7.1 and Mandrake
8.0. But while they used to have a lot of useful Linux tutorial books these
seem to have vanished (or I couldn't find them anymore). Also missing was a
lot of the Linux applications they used to have, e.g.VMware, etc. which are
not available in Cary's Best Buy.
I have to say that the new boxes for Red Hat 7.2 which have been redesigned
looked very sharp--and to have them available a few days before XP came out
was nicely done. Incidentally, there seemed to be more copies of  7.2 than
usual. ---In conclusion: there is a very interesting article in the last
Newsweek magazine I received discussing Windows XP in which the subject of
Linux (as a powerful competitor came up). It seems that a lot of countries,
e.g. China (which is a huge market for any software company, esp. Microsoft)
are definitely turning towards Linux strictly because it is a cheaper
system. Greed may do Bill Gates' company in after all. :-)