[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Beth Ellison leonardbernst55 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 09:07:05 EDT 2001

>To put linux on the desktop, you'll have to change the way that people
>think, which is a lot harder to do than changing technology.

Thank you. I think that sums up what Red Hat *actually* means with the claim
that thjey aren't focusing on the desktop market so much.

Sure, Linux is getting easier and easier for desktop users to grasp with
every release in every flavor, but getting desktop users interested in
switching from something that's already extremely simple, albeit highly
imperfect, is another story. For example, it's doubtful that my brother, who
knows just enough about computers to make flyers, cruise the Web, and
download MP3s knows or gives a damn about the bigger issues folks like us
have with Windows. He knows I work for a Linux company, but I'm not sure he
really remembers what that is. And he's no idiot, rest assured. He's just
like a lot of people who use computers but aren't involved in the computer
community/industry; he just wants his machine at home to be easy,
cooperative, and not something he has to futz with a lot. I'm the same way
about my car and people like me make mechanics everywhere cringe.

beth