[TriLUG] really bad GUI design

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 12:05:19 EDT 2001

>although it's not in anaconda, a perfect example of really bad GUI
>design is rebuilding a kernel when you run "make xconfig".

>if you ultimately choose to "Quit Without Saving" (which, i should
>point out, uses too many upper case letters :-), you get the dialog

>Changes will be lost.  Are you sure?

>  OK Cancel

>i'm not sure a dialog gets more confusingly worded than that,
>particularly the "Cancel" choice, which might lead someone to
>think, "cancel?  cancel what?  the exit?  saving the changes?"

>just being pedantic.

It's not pedantinc.

In fact, makes so much sense. I haven't been recompiling the kernel lately.
(yes, I know, buuuuh! your not an 3l33t3 g33k anymore!). But I recall
getting puzzled all the time after seeing this message. I know that English
is not my first language, but I think that I can understand almost anything
(old Shakesperean English and Australian talk aside). Even though, I always
thought that either my reading comprenhension goes down while recompiling
the kernel (y'know, lotsa CPU cycles being used) or there's something really
fishy about the GUI in xconfig.

Salut,
Sinner