[TriLUG] just starting out, help

Marc Johnson marc_johnson27591 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 27 13:07:16 EDT 2001

>have w98 on disk one, plan to burn this disk soon, just say no to bill.
>have mandrake 8.1 on disk two, good stuff.  still using w98 to access the
>internet.  using linux, how do i connect, ie tell modem COM 1, to dial an
>isp.  currently using mindspring. i know phone # to isp, and their DNS ips.
>  they are not helpful at all. they only support x9- and macs.  is there a
>linux friendly isp, that i should switch too?

Well, first off ... is your modem a real modem or a WinModem? If the latter,
all the brains are in the Windows driver, and no ISP, Linux-friendly or
otherwise, will be able to help you.

If it is a real modem, though, you should be able to use Mandrake's
configuration tools to set up your modem; it sounds like you have most, if
not everything, of what you need.

If you have a WinModem, I would recommend switching to a provider like
RoadRunner. You get a much faster connection, and when I installed Mandrake
8.0 on my system, it automatically recognized the ethernet card and I didn't
have to do any configuration at all. It's a little pricier, but you get what
you pay for in this case.