[TriLUG] ___ at mindspring.com____

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Oct 27 07:56:59 EDT 2001

On Sunday 28 October 2001 01:29 am, you wrote:

> modem. I have a new PCI modem which says on the box that it does work with
> LINUX.

What modem (brand/model)?

> There is some sort of file necessary, apparently, but it has an .EXE
> extension??? Now I've never seen an extension on any driver file nor have I
> seen an exe extention on a Linux file.

Copy it onto your Linux box and see what sort of file it is.  Some examples,

$ file /bin/ls
/bin/ls: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically
linked (uses shared libs), stripped

$ file /usr/sbin/netcfg
/usr/sbin/netcfg: Bourne shell script text executable

$ file /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/idle/idle.py
/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/idle/idle.py: a python script text executable

$ file .Xmodmap
.Xmodmap: ASCII text

$ file /usr/local/Photos/dcp_0303.jpg
/usr/local/Photos/dcp_0303.jpg: JPEG image data

$ file mv90_DT031264.dat
mv90_DT031264.dat: data

The "data" designator is used for files that are of an unrecognized type.  In
this case, it's a packed binary file of interval electric meter data.

---Tom