[TriLUG] ___ at mindspring.com____

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Oct 28 03:25:47 EST 2001

On Sunday 28 October 2001 11:01 am, you wrote:

> Once that's done, then it *should* be a small matter of setting up your
> dialup connection to Mindspring. Here's a handy little bit of instruction;
> it looks pretty useful to me:
>
> http://www.help.mindspring.com/modules/00000/00006.htm

Like I said, although they don't officially support Linux, I always found
Mindspring's searchable help to be very useful.

That said, these days, RedHat (and presumably other vendors) provides tools
for configuring your dialup access.  RedHat's tool is called rp3-config, and
the dialer is called rp3.  The rp3-config program will attempt to auto-detect
the modem.  You can still fill out the GUI by hand if it doesn't find the
modem.  Use ttyS0 for COM1, for example.  Then, fill out the info for dialing
the ISP.  You can debug the connection from rp3-config.  It'll attempt to
dial out and show you some output from the process, such as the communication
between your machine and the ISP's machine.  When you connect to your ISP,
rp3 will add entries to your routing table, resolv.conf file, and ipchains
rules.  It was explained very clearly even for a newbie in one of the books
that came with the RedHat boxed set.

Now, since he's on Mandrake, I'm not sure that the same tools are available.
I suspect that there's something equivalently easy.  I recommend scanning the
Mandrake documentation before reading (more general) HOWTOs.  The HOWTOs are
generally pretty good no matter what distribution you're using, but if
Mandrake has provided you with a simple GUI to configure everything
correctly, then you might as well use it.  That's part of the purpose of the
Linux distributors: value-added utilities.  Of course, those value-adds are
often vendor-specific, so you have to check that vendor's docs first.

Good luck,
---Tom