[TriLUG] ___ at mindspring.com____

Marc Johnson marc_johnson27591 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 28 22:47:55 EST 2001

>Thanks for the links. I'll certainly take a look at them. Incidentally, for
>any who might be interested where I got this this "Linux supported-pci
>modem", try a local company called "Intrex Computers". They have a store in
>Cary and one in Raleigh, I believe (I try to avoid going to Raleigh for
>anything since I despise driving in Raleigh). Yes, I  live in the
>"concentrated area of re-located yankees" = CARY.
>I'm going to re-load Mandrake 8.0 onto a new hard drive and read up on how
>to get this modem working on LINUX. I just hated to give up my ISA internal
>modem because I know it would work with Linux.

I haven't dealt with the Cary store (I live in Wendell, opposite end of the
county) but used to work very near the Raleigh store and visited them from
time to time.

Some weeks ago when we had a particularly rough cold front come through, an
electrical storm put the house current in yoyo mode. My Matrox video card
valiantly took a hit, sparing the (utterly useless) UPS (hah!). I drove into
Raleigh to get a new card, and I went to Intrex. I told them I needed a
good, hi-res card, but something that would work well with Linux, vanilla
Xfree86 please. They knew just what to recommend, checked that it was
supported, and I walked out with a nice (and inexpensive!) NVidia-based
card. I've been very happy with it, and this is why I went straight to them.
I knew I'd be happy with what I got, and being among the victims of the
recession-we're-not-supposed-to-acknowledge (hey, anybody want to hire a
good Java developer??), I knew I'd come out of it with minimal financial
damage -- and I did.

Point being, if the guys in Cary can't help, visit the Raleigh shop. They
talk the talk and walk the walk.