[TriLUG] just starting out, help

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Mon Oct 29 13:39:26 EST 2001

On Monday 29 October 2001 06:29 pm, you wrote:
> If you are using KDE, use the "internet dialer" in the Internet menu. It
> will set it up for you. My modem is on COM2, so I chose /dev/ttyS1 (COM1 is
> /dev/ttyS0, COM2 is /dev/ttyS2, etc).

On RedHat, the one problem I had with KDE's dialup configuration was that it
didn't automatically punch holes in the firewall for the nameservers
specified by my ISP's ppp daemon on the other side of the phone line.

I now know enough about ipchains to do it by hand, but if you've got a strict
firewall ruleset, adding entries to let the nameservers through is absolutely
necessary.

---Tom