[TriLUG] Mandrake 8.0->8.1 upgrade question

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 30 10:18:24 EST 2001

Thanks...I did it and I think it worked as expected.  The first time I
tried booting the disks to upgrade, after the package selection step
(on which I de-selected everything, per the instructions), I received
a dialog listing a bunch of servers (e.g. wu-ftpd) and asking if I really
wanted to install these servers.  Since I had not installed these initially,
I got worried and thought it was going to do a default installation -- so
I killed it and decided to wait/seek advice.  This time I hit 'no' on that
dialog and continued.  It appears that these packages were not installed,
and the servers that I _did_ install were upgraded properly.  So
everything apparently worked as it should.

Rick Gatewood said:
> On Monday 29 October 2001 10:25 am, you wrote:
> If you upgrade using the installer, it will only replace the files that
> need to be upgraded. If you have been keeping the system updated it will
> not take very long to do the upgrade. I have done both upgrades and clean
> installs (/home is separate partition) The clean install works better for
> me, but if you don't want to go through that again just use the upgrade
> function of the installer.
>
> Chris said:
> > So the question is:
> > What's the best way to perform the upgrade?  I tried adding the new CDs
> > to Mandrake's "Software Manager" list, but when I try to upgrade the
> > packages (even if I select just one) I get an error that the packages
> > are "already installed"

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com