[TriLUG] Re: Red Hat Installer: was: [different versions of 7.2 for sale]

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Tue Oct 30 10:53:48 EST 2001

> I work for Red Hat on the installer (and various config tools), and I'm

> <snip>

> So I guess the question isn't just to Roy, but to everybody:
  > What can we do to make the Red Hat Linux installer better?

Brent,

FWIW, I have one suggestion for the RH Installer.  There is a feature that
SuSE  nominally /has/ but doesn't work, or doesn't work well, that I would
love to see in Red Hat.  And that is, the ability to save your installation
settings to a floppy disk, and then retrieve those settings for a future
install.  In particular, I'd like a working version of this, because I
always do a "select individual packages" when I install. And it's a pain in
the arse to go through that huge list of packages and select all that
stuff, every time I do an install.  If I could retrieve a saved list of
selected packages, it would make re-installs much easier, as well as doing
indentical installs on multiple machines.

note: I haven't done a RH install for a while ( been using SuSE for the
last 8 months or so ), so if this feature is already there, please ignore
this message. And me. :-)

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
prhodes at vdsinc.com

Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.
Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can
exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their
revolutionary right to overthrow it.  - Abraham Lincoln

No citizen shall be denied the right to bear arms, if as a last resort, to
protect themselves from tyranny in Government. - Thomas Jefferson