[TriLUG] Re: Red Hat Installer: was: [different versions of 7.2 for sale]

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Tue Oct 30 12:14:16 EST 2001

> You name, you have it.

> Check the anaconda-ks.conf file in your /root directory after install.

> It is the file that, once checkd by you and modified accordingly (say,
disk
> partitioning, install media...) will let you do this. Just copy it onto a

> boot.img / bootnet.img floppy as "ks.conf" and, at SysBoot prompt type
> "linux ks=floppy" and you are done.

> Look for further help on RedHat site : the codeword is "Kickstart"

Cool.  I didn't know about that.  I might just start using that in the
future.

I still think, however, that it would be a good idea, from a convenience
standpoint if nothing else,
to make it an explicit option in the installer.  Have a checkbox or
something that says
"save installation settings to disk", and if it's checked, prompt the user
for a floppy
at the appropriate point.   It could then create the bootable floppy for
you and everything.

I mean, I wouldn't mind doing it manually, but for a more "novice" user it
would be nice to have
something like that in the install.  And even for me, it would be a nice
little convenience.

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
prhodes at vdsinc.com

Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.
Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can
exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their
revolutionary right to overthrow it.  - Abraham Lincoln

No citizen shall be denied the right to bear arms, if as a last resort, to
protect themselves from tyranny in Government. - Thomas Jefferson