[TriLUG] routers supporting dynamic dns?

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Wed Oct 31 00:56:35 EST 2001

John Turner wrote:

> The Netgear RT31X supports dyndns.org.

I'd like to second this.  I've been using my RT311 router with
dynamic DNS for quite a while.  It works great.

In addition, because I know what the name under the dyndns.org
domain is, I have added a CNAME record in my domain so that I
can refer to it using my own domain name (instead of dyndns.org).

For example, say my dyndns hostname is trilug.dyndns.org.
If I was running the trilug dns and wanted to refer to it as
rover.trilug.org, I could put the following record in the
trilug dns.

rover 1D IN CNAME  trilug.dyndns.org.

This would allow me to use the name rover.trilug.org while
dyndns.org does the hard work of keeping up with the IP address
(which their already setup to do).

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

  History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
  of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
  endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989