[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Wed Oct 31 01:01:36 EST 2001

On Wednesday 31 October 2001 12:21 am, John Beimler wrote:
> begin  quotation from Brent Fox <bfox at linuxheadquarters.com> [on 011030
22:09]::
> > I don't know why you feel it is your duty to talk them into Mandrake.
> > There's so much more to a distro than the installer, which is essentially
> > a throw-away piece of software.  You install the box, and you don't see
> > the installer again until you upgrade.
>
> ok, I have to jump in now..
>
> The installer is incredibly important, otherwise everyone would (IMHO) be
> using Debian.  (Slow stable update issues aside) They have the largest base
> building and testing the packages, and the suite of package tools rivals
> the BSD ports collection.  The BSDs are another group of OS's whose main
> stream use is slowed by the installer.

I didn't mean that the installer wasn't important.  I wouldn't be asking
people how we could make it better if I thought that.  I think it is
extremely important, but the installer shouldn't be the only reason for
choosing a particular distro.

I think that the Red Hat installer is on a par feature-wise, with any other
distro, give or take a few features here or there.  The point I was trying to
make was that there isn't much difference feature-wise between Red Hat and
Mandrake.  Certainly there's not enough difference to the point where it
makes sense to steer newbies away from RH because of the installer.  But
that's just my opinion.

Cheers,
  Brent