[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Wed Oct 31 01:07:15 EST 2001

On Wednesday 31 October 2001 12:36 am, Steven Blanchard wrote:
> I tend to agree, and perhaps, the installer should not be so disposable.
> Much of the Redhat text-mode installer is modular, and those utilities
> can be found / used at any time. This modular format makes sense to me,
> as long as the parts are well designed to begin with. If the system
> configuration tool(s) used much of the same code as the installer, it
> would be easier on the developers and the users alike. Less duplication
> of code and less confusion in learning many different ways of doing
> exactly the same thing.
>
> Just a random thought...
> ~steven

No, the text mode installer just looks like it's modular.  It's actually a
reimplementation of the older C based Newt config tools.  Text mode is done
in Python with the Newt Python bindings, so those interfaces were recreated
for the installer.  Some of the backend code is the same, but not the
interfaces.  But I totally agree with you.  This is the direction we want to
go...make backend code into libraries so that we can reuse code more often.
It's better for testing, debugging, everything.

Brent