[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Daniel T. Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Wed Oct 31 04:22:28 EST 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Brent Fox wrote:

> The Red Hat installer should detect all PCI devices, provided that they are
> in kudzu's PCI table.  I don't know why it didn't detect your PCMCIA network
> card, modem, and sound card.  It should have.  It is not clear to the user
> that the installer is configuring the modules needed by the modem and sound
> card in the installer, but it does.  We definitely have room for improvement
> here, as far as telling the user what hardware we are detecting.

AFAICT my Thinkpad 600E's 10/100 Etherjet cardbus adapter was
"detected" but not installed (meaning confs were not modified). When I
booted up a fresh install of 7.2 none of my networking was installed,
which surprises me since traditionally it works on desktops (and yes, I
did choose the laptop option in setup).

I have an inkling that I need to modify the start and kill scripts for
pcmcia and networking manually, since Mandrake 8.1 does set up the
Etherjet correctly and does initialize things in the correct sequence on
boot.

> > Now here is a suggestion that you are going to *hate!* After boot, include
> > a menuing system that mirrors the functionality of Windows, but points to
> > gnome/KDE apps.  Maybe enable it via a checkbox: New converts check here
> > for start menu on your desktop...
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting.  The KDE and GNOME menus
> are pretty similar to the way Windows works.  Are you talking about *exactly*
> mirroring Windows?  fvwm95 does this, and it seems to be universally hated.
> Red Hat used to ship it, and it was dropped in favor of GNOME and KDE.

fvwm95? Eww. Thank goodness you all dropped that in favor of GNOME and
KDE.