[TriLUG] Fw: WinXP vs RH 7.2

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Thu Nov 1 11:33:38 EST 2001

On Thursday 01 November 2001 11:02 am, Marc Johnson wrote:
> I'd guess, yes, he did try both. While I haven't tried either of them (nor
> do I care to, thank you very much), his description of being forbidden to
> override the XP's wisdom in device drivers rings true; I've encountered
> Windows' attempts to browbeat me into doing things its way (rather annoying
> after I'd TRIED doing it their way). That they no longer attempt to
> browbeat you into doing things their way, and that they now offer you no
> choice, seems very plausible to me.
>
> As for his woes installing RH7.2 ... been there, done that. I've had no end
> of crappy installs just like what he describes - frozen systems, CDs that
> won't boot, installations that dump core, you name it. Currently I'm in
> love with my Mandrake 8.0 system. Why? Because it was an install that
> worked the first time I tried it. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Wait a minute...you said earlier that you hadn't tried 7.2...

> I think the author's complaints were valid and well taken. In the case of
> RH7.2, he raises a couple of points that I harp on all the time (just ask
> anyone who knows me for the bloody bore I can be on the subject <g>) about
> software in general: IF YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, DON'T APOLOGIZE,
> ***FIX IT***, and THE INSTALLATION IS THE USER'S INTRODUCTION TO YOUR
> PRODUCT. HAS NO ONE EVER TOLD YOU ABOUT 'FIRST IMPRESSIONS'?!

What problem would you like fixed?  You make it seem like the Red Hat
installer doesn't work at all.  If that's true, then I'm trying to figure out
how so many users got Red Hat Linux onto their systems.

If the problems you are talking about are related to faulty hardware, how
would you propose to fix the problem via software?

Cheers,
   Brent