[TriLUG] Fw: WinXP vs RH 7.2

Donald Ball balld at webslingerZ.com
Thu Nov 1 13:47:12 EST 2001

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Brent Fox wrote:

> I have seen at least two other bugs similar to his (with retail cds), and
> both of them turned out to be hardware related.  One guy swapped his cdrom
> drive out, and the problem went away.  Another guy ran MemTest86 on his
> machine and found that he had bad ram.  Swapping the ram fixed the problem.

maybe you should integrate a memory tester into the installer. or make it
an option that the user can choose if they had trouble the first go
'round.

you should also make the installer be able to save state to some media
(floppy? root partition?) as it goes so that if it _does_ die, when the
user starts the install again, they can pick up where they left off
(except for maybe that last step). nothing's worse than retyping pages and
pages of data, especially if you were unsure of the answers to begin with.

- donald