[TriLUG] Fw: WinXP vs RH 7.2

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 1 16:17:15 EST 2001

>From: Brent Fox <bfox at linuxheadquarters.com>

>Did you enter a bug in Bugzilla for any of these failed installs?
>Otherwise,
>we don't know about it.  If we don't know about it, we can't fix it.  We
>are
>not all-knowing, all-seeing.

IMO this is a problem with any technology user.  "This doesn't work!" "How
come?" "I don't know. Fix it!" "Yes, but, what is the problem?" " I don't
care. Just fix it".

This is really close to the joke about a guy that goes to the doctor
"Doctor, I'm ill" "OK. What is your problem?" "I do not know. You are the
doctor, you tell me".

>Dell is one of our biggest corporate partners.  We have labs full of Dell
>machines.  We test the hell out of Dell's hardware, so the people that say
>that Red Hat Linux doesn't work on Dell boxes don't know what they are
>talking about.

I "live" at the labs, and hey!, there's plenty of Dell boxes here, with all
kind of shapes, sizes and bogomips. And we test them. Actualy, we pound
them.

>I asked him if he would open a
>report in Bugzilla, but he wasn't interested.

"My car has a problem. The dealer hasn't fix it. The dealer is a bozo" "Have
you tried to get the car to the dealer, so they can repair it?" "No, I'm not
interested"

>You have obviously never met Glen Foster, head of Red Hat QA.  This guy
>doesn't let stuff slide.  Seriously.

Absolutely.

>But Linux has never been perfect.  Shoot, Linus has released "stable"
>versions of the kernel that were anything but stable.

-rw-r--r--   1 korg     korg     23082457 Oct  9 23:55
linux-2.4.11-dontuse.tar.bz2

But, then, we also have kernel-2.4.12 and "haloween" kernel-2.4.13 that
solve the problems.

Maybe it is not perfect, but when a problem is detected and reported, the
offending bug will be hunted and fixed.

Salut,
Sinner