[TriLUG] Creating self-signed SSL certificates for apache

Errol Casey errol-list-trilug at boo-bear.com
Fri Nov 2 19:31:06 EST 2001

I've been trying to create self-signed SSL certificates. I have
created both the certificates for server and CA; and gone through
the steps I found on mod_ssl site and elsewhere.

Problem I am having is, that Microsoft IE seems to not accept
the certificate; where as Netscape and Opera will.

I'm using a dynamic DNS service and don't know if that might
be part of the problem.

my hostname is amr.homeip.net; I used this in both certificates.
I also used the same password.

This is for personal use so , I don't want to purchase a certificate
from verisign, etc. I would like to learn/understand how to do
it with linux and apache on my box.

https://amr.homeip.net is my home box; if anybody wants to visit
and see if they can determine any problem with the certificate and/or
why IE just doesn't accept it at all, and says the web site isn't
available. I don't run http at all on my box just https.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Errol Casey
(GPG Key: Send email with Subject: send gpg )