[TriLUG] RH 7.2 installer suggestions

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 4 13:45:51 EST 2001

Here is a list of suggestions arising from my use of the RH72 installer
on my Toshiba 2065cds laptop.  This is from a user experience
perspective regardless of whether redhat could do anything about it
(some might be a problem with the package maintainer)

I selected laptop and all of the next options (have to have KDE and
GNOME due to dependencies in some apps I use...though I hate KDE).

I always have to "select individual packages" because redhat's laptop
config is for a laptop with a VERY LARGE hard drive and I still have
some old stuff on a partition that I've not yet decided whether I need
it.

1. xawtv and other soundcard specific packages should be toggled to be
default installed based on an autodetect.

2. xsane should not be installed on "Laptop" installations.  Not many
laptops have scanners (not that I've seen).

3. Tetex on a laptop...not sure I need such things.  I'm not running a
print shop on my laptop.

4. watanabe font - The description on this sucks.  How do I know if I
need this?  What the heck is it?

5. Sane frontend is in System and I don't think the xsane is in the same
group...

6. irport stuff - autodetect and default on/off

7. usb stuff - autodetect and default on/off

8. cdrecord shouldn't be default on a laptop. Not many laptops have cdr
drives (are there any?)

9. lmsensors - remove comment about 2.2 kernels unless you're installing
a 2.2 kernel.  The chances of a user adapting 7.2 to use a 2.2 kernel
are pretty slim.

10. desktop background installed by default on a laptop...alot of wasted
space.

11. timidity++ - autodetect

Screens:

1. Dependency screen should show where the hell those things are versus
just the package name...OR warn the user as he selects/deselects things
by putting it in a non obtrusive list (but that may be too much screen
real estate)

Really pedantic stuff:

1. Wine is under emulators..  wine is not an emulator...

2. emacs is referred to as Advanced instead of primitive and weird.

Dern:

My PCMCIA still doesn't work...  I'm wondering if I need to recompile
the kernel with "toshiba support" put in (toshiba 2065CDS).

-Andy

--
www.superlinksoftware.com
			- fix java generics!