[TriLUG] Re: TriLUG digest, Vol 1 #91 - 24 msgs

Michael Czeiszperger czei at webperformanceinc.com
Sun Nov 4 13:09:56 EST 2001

> From: Chris Merrill <cmerrill at nc.rr.com>
> I must disagree...MP3 files have poor sound quality compared to .wav
> files.  But since most people listen to MP3s over computer speakers,
> which generally have even worse sound quality, they don't notice.

Well, yes and no.

The Microsoft WAVE format is built on top of their RIFF format, which is
your classic "chunky" design that can store anything. A WAVE audio file
can be uncompressed, in which it sounds as good as you can get, or it
can be compressed with various algorithms, which vary in sound
quality.

http://www.lightlink.com/tjweber/StripWav/WAVE.html#Compression
http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Courses/422/projects/
WaveFormat/

By comparison, MP3s are all compressed using the  MP3 compression
algorithm, which varies in quality depending on the bitrate. It would be
difficult for most people (i.e. not audio professionals) to distinguish
between an uncompressed recording and an MP3 compressed
recording at the highest bitrate in my opinion. The problem is many of
the MP3s on the net are compressed for easy storage and transfer, not
audio quality, leading to the impression that the MP3 compression
algorithm doesn't sound good which isn't the case.

I was going to link to the MSDN site to give more details, but you
apparently need a .NET Passport to access it anymore :-(

Is anyone on the list planning on signing up for a "passport"?

Michael Czeiszperger