[TriLUG] RH 7.2 installer suggestions

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 4 15:09:57 EST 2001

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 01:45:51PM -0500, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> 3. Tetex on a laptop...not sure I need such things.  I'm not running a
> print shop on my laptop.

>This is precisely the reason that many academics want Linux on a
>laptop. It
>should stay, despite being somewhat large.

IMHO the laptop install should be a slim install.  Only things that
mainstream laptop users want should be installed by default. Anything
else should require the user to go click it on.  Again I'm just saying
it shouldn't be DEFAULT if an average-joe-laptop-user wouldn't use it.

For instance laptops shouldn't install anything extraneous by default
that has to actively run continuously either (battery drain).

If you know you need it you'll go add it.

> 8. cdrecord shouldn't be default on a laptop. Not many laptops have
cdr
> drives (are there any?)

>This is a prime selling point for the Apple iBooks and PowerBooks. I
>suspect
>that if x86 laptop makers haven't already picked up on that, they will
>very
>soon. (I think x86 laptops already have them, but I'm not a laptop
>shopper.)

I've yet to see one.  Moreover I think to default to this the thing
should detect first to see if you have one (that one is fairly simple).
You should be able to turn advanced-detection OFF in case it locks up,
but it should check to see whether you have a cdr before installing it
by default.

-Andy

--
www.superlinksoftware.com