[TriLUG] Comments on this Hardware Configuration

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Tue Nov 6 14:30:50 EST 2001

Hi,

I have recently inheirited a PII-400 system which has three SCSI hard
drives.  The SCSI controller is an onboard Adaptec (I forget the model #).
I would like to put a BusLogic 958BT PCI SCSI controller card into this
machine so I would have two independent SCSI buses.  I would like to put
the existing hard drives (and one external SCSI drive) on the bus with the
onboard Adaptec controller and put my tape drive backup (HP SureStore DAT8)
and a SCSI CD-RW (a Plextor PX-W1210TS/SW) on the BusLogic bus.

So here are some questions:

1) Does Linux support multiple SCSI controllers?

2) If the answer to #1 is 'yes', how does the hardware decide which
controller contains the bootable drive?  Is this something I have to
specify somewhere in the configuration?

As an aside,  I bought a copy of SuSE 7.3 Professional edition, I
thought I would give that a spin.  I am also planning on using SGI's
XFS filesystem for at least the /home filesystem, and using hardware
accelerated graphics in XFree86 4.1.0 for playing with OpenGL.  If people
are interested, I can give periodic updates as to how my adventures with
this system go.  If anybody on this list thinks these are highly stupid
things to try, please let me know.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html