[TriLUG] bash + escape key under rh72

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Nov 6 18:08:01 EST 2001

On 6 Nov 2001, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> After upgrading to rh72 something I've never had to setup is not setup..
> . The escape key.  Normally this auto-completes the command I'm
> typing...now it does not.. . any idea how to re-enable this useful
> feature for lazy typists?  Otherwise I'll just have to switch back to
> KSH but it can be a pain due to everything in Linux being bash-oriented.

I've never heard of using the escape key to autocomplete, but the Tab key
autocompletes just fine on every version of bash I've used.  Try using Tab
instead.  You can configure the "readline" behavior of bash pretty
extensively... search for "READLINE" in man bash.  Readline's config file
is by default ~/.inputrc; perhaps there is a way to change the completion
keystroke in that file.

I have "set bell-style none" in my ~/.inputrc to turn off the annoying
beep that you get when a command-line can't be completed.

--Jeremy